Strange but true: Men are more inclined than women to do this when kissing
• It was Founding Father Thomas Paine who made the following sage observation: “He who would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.”
• Most people prefer to kiss with their eyes closed; however, of those who do prefer to keep their eyes open, the vast majority are men.
• It’s well-known that a certain segment of native Londoners speak in a dialect known as Cockney, which makes frequent use of rhyming slang — some classic examples are “dog and bone” for “phone” and “apples and pears” for “stairs.” A more recent addition to the vocabulary is “Donald Trump,” which, for at least the past 15 years, has been used as an equivalent for going to the bathroom.
• If you watch TV or movies at all, you’ve probably seen some variation of the Humane Society disclaimer “No animals were harmed in the making of this program.” You may not have considered that it’s also applicable to insects, but those who make the programs certainly do. In fact, if you see a bug being destroyed in a contemporary movie, it’s a safe bet that the bug was dead before the scene was shot. There are even people who stuff dead bugs with a sort of cream to fill it out — and to ensure a satisfying squish for the camera.
• You may be surprised to learn that many people never even feel it when they’re bitten by a venomous snake. (They certainly experience the aftereffects, though.)
Thought for the Day: “In the case of good books, the point is not how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.” — Mortimer J. Adler
Reach Weekender at [email protected]