Speak and See, 1.16.13-1.22.13
First Posted: 1/15/2013
Abington Community Library (1200 West Grove St., Clarks Summit)
• Story time with Jeannine M. Luby, author of Wartz and All: Jan. 23, 4 p.m. Recommended for children 4-8 years old. Copies of the book will be available for sale for $7.99 with $2 from each sale going to the library.
Barnes & Noble Wilkes-King’s Booksellers (7 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.4700)
• Open Mic Night: last Tues. of every month, 6:30 p.m.
• Writer’s Workgroup: Wyoming Valley Wordsmiths: first/third Tues. monthly, 7 p.m.
• Weekly Sat. morning story time, 11 a.m.-noon.
Dietrich Theater (60 E. Tioga St., Tunkhannock: 570.996.1500)
• Writers Group: Thurs., 7-8:30 p.m. 18+. Celebrates all types of writing styles, formats. Join anytime. Free. Call to register.
• Stories From Around the World: Jan. 19, 11 a.m.; snow date, Jan. 26, 11 a.m. Storyteller Fiona Powell sits at her spinning wheel and spins folk tales.
• Open Mic Night: Jan. 25, 7:15 p.m., featuring Breaking Ground Poets at 8:15 p.m. Sign-ups begin 6:30 p.m.
• Book Discussions, 7 p.m., Tunkhannock Public Library: Literary Analysis: Plot, Setting, Characterization, Imagery, Symbolism, Tone (of the novel): Feb. 6. The Inevitability of and the Human Response to Change, Feb. 13. Finding Peace in Chaos: Can Culture and Value Survive in a Technological World?, Feb. 20. Escaping our Prisons: Why Ragtime is Significant Today, Feb. 27.
• Wyoming County Reads – Ragtime: Reading of the classic novel Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow with book discussions facilitated by Bill Chapla at the Tunkhannock Public Library. Feb. 6, 13, 20, 27, 7 p.m.
• Open Mic Night: Feb. 22, 7:15 p.m., featuring K.K. Gordon at 8: 15 p.m.
• Writing Your Hat Off: Creative Writing for Kids: Ages 10-16. March 5, 12, 19, 26, 4-5:30 p.m.
• The Power of Story, presented by Suzanne Fisher Staples: March 10, 3 p.m.
• Creative Characters from Paper to Puppets: Ages 5-12. April 9, 16, 23, 30, May 7, 4-5 p.m.
King’s College (133 North River St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.5957 or kings.edu)
• Campion Literary Society Open Readings: Jan. 31, Feb. 19, 7 p.m., Gold Room, Administration Building. Info: 570.208.5900, ext. 5487.
• Campion Literary Society Writing Workshops: Feb. 8, 3:30 p.m., Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center. Info: 570.208.5900, ext. 5487.
Lackawanna Historical Society (The Catlin House, 232 Monroe Avenue, Scranton, 570.344.3841)
• Anthracite Labor Wars book discussion: with authors Dr. Robert Wolensky and William Bill Hastie, Jan. 16, 7 p.m.
The Osterhout Free Library (71 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, www.osterhout.info, 570.821.1959)
• Open Computer Lab: Mon./Wed., 5-8 p.m.; Sat., 1-4 p.m.
Pages & Places
• Cafe Programs every Thurs. Happy hour 6 p.m., programs 7 p.m. (Platform Lounge at Trax in Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, 700 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton)
Pittston Memorial Library (47 Broad St., 570.654.9565, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Craftastic Kids Craft Club: 3rd Sat. every month, 10 a.m. Grades 2-5. Call/email to register.
• Crochet Club: Tues., 10 a.m., Thurs., 6 p.m. New members welcome.
• Kids Science Club: First Sat. every month, 10 a.m. Grades 2-5. Call/email to register.
• Lego Club: Meets Mondays, 4 p.m. Wait list only, call.
• Page Turners Kids Book Club: First Thurs. every month. Grades 3-5.
• Story Time: Toddlers Tues., 10 a.m. or Wed., 1:30 p.m.; Preschool Tues., 1:30 p.m. or Wed., 10 a.m.
Plymouth Public Library (107 W. Main St., Plymouth, 570.779.4775)
• Looking for volunteers: Call to sign up.
• Adult computer lessons: Daily, call to register.
• Story Time: Mon., 11 a.m. or Wed., 10:30 a.m. Toddlers/preschool children.
STACKS Writing Group Every other Tues., 6 p.m., The Banshee, (320 Penn Ave., Scranton). Info: email@example.com
West Pittston Library (200 Exeter Ave., www.wplibrary.org, 570.654.9847)
• Book Club: First Tues., 6:45 p.m. Free. Informal discussion of member-selected books.
• Weekly story time for children: Fri., 1 p.m. Free.
AFA Gallery (514 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton: 570.969.1040 or Artistsforart.org)
Gallery hours Thurs.-Sat., 12-5 p.m.
• Life Drawing sessions: every Tues., 7-9 p.m. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for info.
• Drawing Socials: every Sun., 6-9 p.m. $5 GA, $2 student.
• Points of Attraction by Scot Kaylor: Through Jan. 26.
• Towards a Phenomenology of Space by Krista Svalbonas and Artifacts from the Former Black Militant Golf and Country Club by Charles McGill: Opening reception Feb. 1, 6-9 p.m. Through Feb. 23.
Heron Art Gallery (121 Main St., Wyalusing, 570.746.4922, www.blueheronart.org)
Gallery hours: Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Sat. by appt.
• Seeking The Muse-A decade of Art at the Blue Heron Gallery: through Jan. 24. 22 artists. Info: email@example.com
Camerawork Gallery (Downstairs in the Marquis Gallery, Laundry Building, 515 Center St., Scranton, 570.510.5028. www.cameraworkgallery.org, firstname.lastname@example.org) Gallery hours Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Photographs of the American Vernacular by D. B. Stovall: Through Jan. 29.
• Accepting submissions for new shows during 2012-2013. Photography only; all photographic methods considered. Check out submissions procedure on website for details.
Dietrich Theatre (downtown Tunkhannock, 570.996.1500)
• Relive Ragtime: Feb. 22 at Fourth Friday in Tunkhannock, 6-9 p.m.
Hazleton Art League (225 E. Broad St., Hazleton, hazletonartleague.org)
• Photography Now: Opening reception Jan. 19, 6-8 p.m. Through Feb. 10.
• Moments Notice jazz duo: Jan. 20, 1 p.m. $5, members; $10, non-members.
Lizza Studios (900 Rutter Ave., Suite 10, Forty Fort, 570.991.6611, email@example.com)
• On display: A private collection of work by Czech artist Colini.
Luzerne County Historical Society Museum (69 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.823.6244, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• The Miracle of the Bells exhibit: Through March 15.
Misericordia University (301 Lake St., Dallas, 570.674.6286)
Pauly Friedman Art Gallery, Tues.-Thurs., 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Fri., 10 a.m.-5p.m.; Sat.-Sun., 1-5 p.m.
• Norman Rockwell’s 323 Saturday Evening Post Covers: Through Feb. 28.
Pocono Arts Council (18 N. Seventh St., Stroudsburg. 570.476.4460. www.poconoarts.org)
• Altered State: Photography Based Images: Opening reception and awards presentation Jan. 26, 4-7 p.m., ARTSPACE Gallery, 18 N. Seventh St. Runs through Feb.
Schulman Gallery (2nd floor of LCCC Campus Center, 1333 S. Prospect St., Nanticoke, www.luzerne.edu/schulmangallery, 570.740.0727)
Gallery hours: Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Drawing on our Faith: Through Feb. 22. Gallery talk, 7 p.m. Features artwork by members of the En Plein Air Society.
• Annual Rossetti Exhibit: March 3-March 27.
• A Collection of Two Masters, photography by Michael Molnar and Sam Cramer: April 5-May 2.
• Annual Student Show: May 10-June 6.
• Studio Views, paintings and drawings by the students of Georgiana Cray Bart: June 14-July 11.
• A Vision of Three, featuring the work of Rob Hay, Ryan Ward, and Mark Webber: July 19-Aug. 8
• Phone-tography, featuring art captured by cell phone photos: Aug. 16-Sept. 5.
• Crayons and Care II, artwork by children of the Litewska Hospital in Warsaw, Poland: Sept. 13-Oct. 7.
• Old Masters: Oct. 25-Nov. 28.
• Annual Faculty/Alumni Exhibit: Dec. 6- Jan. 2
Widmann Gallery (Located in King’s College’s Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center between North Franklin and North Main Streets, Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.5900, ext. 5328)
Gallery hours: Mon. through Fri. 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Sat. and Sun. as arranged. Free and open to the public.
• Redesigning Reality: Art exhibition by Ryan Frania, a junior at Wyoming Seminary College Preparatory School. Through Feb. 15.
• A Closer Look, Lawrence Lang’s photographic works of Marcos and landscapes: Feb. 25-April 5. Meet the Artist Reception, March 15, 6-8 p.m.
– compiled by Sara Pokorny, Weekender Staff Writer. Send your listings to WBWnews@civitasmedia.com, 90 E. Market St., Wilkes-Barre, Pa., 18703, or fax to 570.831.7375. Deadline is Mondays at 2 p.m. Print listings occur up until three weeks from publication date. Expanded listings at theweekender.com. – compiled by Sara Pokorny, Weekender Staff Writer. Send your listings to WBWnews@civitasmedia.com, 90 E. Market St., Wilkes-Barre, Pa., 18703, or fax to 570.831.7375. Deadline is Mondays at 2 p.m. Print listings occur up until three weeks from publication date. Expanded listings at theweekender.com.